This summer I am taking two classes, I’m taking Librarian as a Teacher and African American Literature. I thought it would be great to share the books that I will be reading for those classes. For Librarian as a Teacher, I got to choose three middle-grade books from a list and then three picture books from another list. For African American Literature all the books are required reading.
For Librarian as a Teacher I will be reading:
Ghost by Jason Reynolds
Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo
Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
Can I Be Your Dog by Troy Cummings
Geraldine by Elizabeth Lilly
Julián is a Mermaid by Jessica Love
For African American Literature I will be reading:
The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Beloved by Toni Morrison
12 Million Black Voices by Richard Wright
The Langston Hughes Reader by Langston Hughes
A few years ago I started reading The Iliad and the Odyssey, the classic Epic Greek poem written by Homer. It pretty much became my in-between book, the book that I would read close to the end of the month when I didn’t want to start a new book. I’m not a fan of starting a book in one month and finishing it in another month, even though I have done it in the past, it is something that I now try to avoid.
Reading the Iliad and the Odyssey as my in-between book stopped working for me, so I removed it from my Goodreads and re-added it when I removed it, I had read 366 total pages. It is not the biggest book clocking in at 731 pages, but it is also not the easiest book to read.
So, I am dedicating the month of April to reading The Iliad and the Odyssey, there’s a chance that I will finish it before the end of the month, which I am hoping for. I am also a one book at a time reader, so I won’t’ be reading any other novels during the month of April.
One of my favorite readathons, the Biannual Bibliothon is coming up, it starts on Saturday the 20th and goes until the Friday the 26th. There are reading challenges, blog challenges, bookstagram challenges and youtube challenges. Here are my list of books and their corresponding reading challenges.
1. Read the group book: Otherworld by Jason Segel & Kirsten Miller
2. Read a sequel: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
3. Read a book you’ve never heard of before: Otherworld by Jason Segel & Kristen Miller. I had never heard of this book until the reading challenge announcement video!
4. Read a book about mental illness: Challenger Deep by Neil Shusterman or A List of Cages by Robin Roe.
5. Read a book that was mentioned in another book/movie/show etc.: Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
6. Read a book under 200 pages: Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
7. Read a backlist title: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
I will be combining challenges 1 and 3, 2 and 7, 5 and 6.
I hate saying TBR when I make these kinds of posts. I said in another post that the term “TBR” seems too strict and structured. I would rather use the term “reading plans” because the books on this list may or may not be all the books that I will be reading this summer. Therefore the books listed are not a TBR, and not in reading order.
Perfect 10 by L. Philips
The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs
The Haters by Jesse Andrews- BTB
Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult- BTB
Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins- BTB
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens- BTB
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Peter Pan by J.M. Barry
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Mirror in the Sky by Aditi Khorana
Kings Cage by Victoria Aveyard
Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver- BTB
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt- BTB
Flame in the Mist by Reneé Ahdieh- This is the Biannual Bibliothon group book!
Ana of California by Andi Teran- BTB
History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera
A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab
All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr- BTB
Maud by Melanie J. Fishbane
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier
Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
I hate saying TBR when I make these kinds of posts. I said in another post that the term “TBR” seems too structured. I would rather use the term “reading plans” because the books on this list may or may not be all the books that I will be reading this spring. As you can see this is a very incomplete list, and it will be updated accordingly. This list is not in the order that I will be reading these books.
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien- This book is definite as it is my re-read for the month of March.
- Royce Rolls by Margaret Stohl
- Girl out of Water by Laura Silverman
- Beauty and the Beast by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve
- Beauty and the Beast by Jeanne-Marie LePrince de Beaumont
- As Old As Time by Liz Braswell
- Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book by Jennifer Donelly
- Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
- The Rose and the Dagger by Renée Ahdieh
- A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
- The Elven Tales by Fabi Ghittoni– After issues with the retailer, Fabi was kind enough to send me a copy of her debut!
- The Gauntlet by Karuna Riazi-Request is pending on NetGalley.
- Summer by Edith Wharton
- The Simillarion by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Henry IV Part 1 by William Shakespeare
- Henry IV Part 2 by William Shakespeare
- Night by Elie Wiesel
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- Anna of California by Andi Teran
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters
- The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- The Haunting of the Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie
- The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver
- The Republic by Plato
These are my reading plans for February, I don’t want to say TBR because it seems too structured. I’m also not sure if I will be doing these every month or just the last month of the seasonal challenge.
These are the books that I’m planning on reading for February:
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Go Set a Watchmen by Harper Lee
Zodiac by Romina Russell
Wandering Star by Romina Russell
Black Moon by Romina Russell
Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis
Before Tomorrowland by Jeff Jensen
Passenger by Alexandra Bracken- Half blue/half black because I own the book, but I’m borrowing the audiobook from the library.
A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire